Are The Commandments For Today?
Updated: Oct 28, 2018
Yes, but no. The real question is more accurately asked, "Does Life come through the “Law” or now by “Love.”
This is topics is one of the most heated debates in Christianity, yet the scriptures are quite clear.
Let’s look at Gods word and hold firm to His traditions, not the traditions of man!
Consider this: We are No Longer Slaves To Sin and we are Friends to Jesus.
· John 15:15 - 15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.
· And - John 15:13 (tells us that) - 13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
· John 3:16 - 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
As our friend he dies for us – he is NOT hear to judge us today..
· John 12 - 46 Jesus come into the world as light, so that whoever believes in me may not remain in darkness. 47 If anyone hears my words (says Jesus) and does not keep them, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world but to save the world.
In fact, for Jesus’s friends He is our mediator – stepping in between us and the deserved wrath of God for every sin.
· 2 John - 2 My little children, (John) writes unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:2 And He is the propitiation (or the one who takes the place) for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep His (Jesus’) commandments. (I will take the pain of the Law – if you obey my command to Love)
He goes a step further to say…
· John 14:15-21 - 15 If ye love me (Says Jesus), keep my commandments.16 And I will pray to the Father (for you), and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;… because I live, ye shall live also. 20 At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.21 He that hath my commandments (Says Jesus), and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me (Jesus): and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him. (In other words you stick with me – and I will take care of Dad).
Therefore the Law was hung on a tree When He died, and for us when we died in sin to be born again a new creature in Christ. (2 Cor 5:17)
· Matt 22:36-40 – (and ) which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
So then are the Old Testament Commandments gone: No! – So Get this….
· Matt 5:17 - 17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. 18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. 19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. But also - 20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.
The law is there and if you can keep it (which He tells us upfront we can’t) it yours. But – we are all sinners and fall short. (Rom 3:23)
· James 2:10 - For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.
· Romans 3:10-12 –(Remember also) 10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.
So to be clear:
· Romans 7 - Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, .. For without the law sin was dead.
But the Law IS No Longer for the Righteous, who are born again in Christ.
· 1 Tim 1:8-11 – So we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, … According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God.
· Rom 3:27-28 – we are justified as a gift by His grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus; 25whom God displayed publicly as a propitiation (Substitution for us) in His blood through faith. By what kind of law? Of works? No, but by a law of faith. 28For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the Law.
So, whole the entire Bible is inspired, a little study will clearly reveal that there is a New Covenant…Period – God said so.
· Jer 31:33 (prophesied before Christ) – a covenant will be made with the house of Israel after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
· Luke 16:16 The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God (Grace) is preached.
· Heb 7:12 - 12 For the priesthood being changed (To Jesus Christ), there is made of necessity a change also of the law.
· Heb 8:13 - In speaking of a new covenant, he makes the first one obsolete. And what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.
· Romans 7-6 6 now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.
That is the “Good news” that should be preached.
· Romans 10 - 13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace (not law), and bring glad tidings of good things!16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?
Remember any other Gospel is not of God and leads believers into the wilderness of bondage.
· Rom 8 - There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death. For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.
Be careful because not all will see the Truth.
· Col 2 – (Warning) 16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ. 18 Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind….20 Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments (Basics) of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances (Traditions),21 (Such as: Touch not; taste not; handle not;22 Which all are to perish with the using;) after the Commandments and doctrines of men?
Even those who Preach may lead you back to bondage…
· 2 Pet 2 - 1But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, … by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.
So be on guard.
· 1 Pet 13 Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;14 As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance:…16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.17 And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear…from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers.
DO NOT FORGET WHAT YOU HAVE LEARNED FROM GOD.
· 1 Tim 1 - 4 Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.5 Now the end of the commandment is Love out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned.
Any other teaching is of heresy at worse or ignorance at best.
· 6 From which some having swerved have turned aside unto vain jangling;7 Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm.
So Say Strong
· Romans 12:2 - be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
Never stop learning and studying the Word, as so many who become complacent with their revelation, and stay in the wilderness without victory today.
· Proverbs 18:15 - The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge, for the ears of the wise seek it out.
· Isaiah 5:13 – (Remember God’s) people have gone into captivity, because [they have] no knowledge: and their honourable men [are] famished, and their multitude dried up with thirst.
· Hosea – 4:6 - My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee.
Avoid anyone who leads into the desert of hopelessness or condemnation. (If your church experience drains you rather than recharges you in the Truth of the Lord, it is likely a gospel of bondage)
· Romans 16:17 - Now I urge you, brethren, keep your eye on those who cause dissensions and hindrances contrary to the teaching which you learned, and turn away from them.
Don’t be mad – but Love them and share the Truth.
· 2 Thes 3:15 - Yet do not regard him as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother.
· 2 Thess - 5 Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things?6 And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time. (People only see when God is ready). 7 For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way. (Only the one who removes his self-centered ways will see His way). 0 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. (Seekers of Law – find sin and Death – not Grace). 11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: (Don’t expect those bound by tradition to see for they are blind for God’s sake). So give thanks always to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:14 Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. (That’s AMAZING GRACE). 15 Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle. (Not Traditions ou Religion and Man). 16 Now our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God, even our Father, which hath loved us, and hath given us everlasting consolation and good hope through grace. Praise the Lord!
But, if you still are being led astray – walk away and into the light.
· 2 Thes - 6 Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye withdraw yourselves from every brother that walketh disorderly, … 14 And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed.
Don’t become a hindrance to them, for God is still , and always in charge, and He will open their eyes if or when He is ready.
· 1 Cor 8:9 - take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumbling block to them that are weak.
But protect yourself, and your relationship with Christ, and do all that you do from Love.
· 1 Pet 4:8 - And above all things have fervent Love among yourselves: for Love shall cover the multitude of sins.