Do You Have A Fire For God?
On my way to church the devil tried to steal my Joy for a second – let me explain
o I looked around at all the cars parked, and a few people mowing the lawn – and began to think “look at all these people not going to the Lord’s house.”
o But before this demonic deception took root in my heart – The Holy Spirit moved and reminded not to be mad, self-righteous, or judgmental – because it is only by the Grace of God that I am saved.
§ My judgmental thoughts were replaced by the Joy of the Lord – Amen
§ and I got a pep in my step as I recognized how blessed I was that “I get to go to church to praise the Lord.” Hallelujah.
§ At the same time my heart also saddened for those that had not yet experienced deliverance I as I have – and a burden for their souls came over me.
That burden fuels my heart for the fire of God.
Then I started to think about how we pump out more and more seminary graduate’s these days yet many congregations are drifting further into the abyss of post modern materialism.
- many genuine believers living an entire life as what Paul calls “babes in Christ.”
- This is what saddens me – and it should sadden you.
The burden of that sorrow is my “heart cry” and is only fueled when I hear seasoned saints ask things like….
- “Why does a good God allow bad things to happen” – My soul cries to God
o I check to learn if the person is still an unbeliever, or perhaps just new in Christ,
o but if learn that have been saved for years or decades, my heart begins to cry and my souls begins to burn with the fire of God.
o - Another one we hear is “everything happens for a reason” or “it’s all part of God’s plan”
o – Be honest …. have you heard that one?
o we see here limited understanding in Paul’s teaching of God in Romans 8. “God allows things to happen and can use them for good - he does not MAKE bad things happen.
- Or perhaps some of you saw the recent article I posted warning about the statement “I come to church to get fed,” o or even the inverse, “that sermon did not feed me like I wanted.”
o Who has ever said that in there Christian walk- § In some ways we do come to get fed – particularly early in our faith· But if we mature in Christ – which takes response and effort- we will become servants of Christ – with hearts on Fire for God to feed more than we need to be fed.
These are all areas that show an opportunity for biblical growth and scriptural understanding…but, the big observation, is the loss of reverence in Christianity today.
God is the creator of the universe, of all, He hung the stars, and directs the seas, and raises people from the dead, but do we revere that?
Said another way, are our souls Burning with the eternal Fire of God!
1) we have lost the indwelling of the Holy Spirit
- In other words - WE HAVE LOST THE “LIVING” FIRE FOR GOD!
The late Dr. A. W. Tozer, author and pastor and theologian, said,
- “If the Holy Spirit was withdrawn from the church today, 95 percent of what we do would go on and no one would know the difference.
- But, If the Holy spirit had been withdrawn from the New Testament church, 95 percent of what they did would stop, and everybody would know the difference.”
We often preach about revival and awakening and become disappointed when our patience is tested.
But how many churches are the cause for tarry?
- 1 John 2:15: says “Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.”
o If we mix ourselves with the world, the Holy Spirit departs. And our fire goes out!
- Gal 5:4: says “Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; you have fallen from grace.”
o If we preach law before Grace – and religion before relationship, the Holy Spirit departsAnd our fire goes out.
1 John 1:8: says “If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us”
o If we fail to grow and repent of our transgressions, the Holy Spirit departs
o And our Fire goes out.
But - when we stay in the Spirit, in the Word, in the Truth we maintain a Fire for God.
- Psalms 105:39: Says - God spread a cloud for a covering; and fire to give light in the night.
o For the Lord gave his Children a cloud by day – and a fire at night – to light up the darkness and lead his Children out of Egypt – out of captivity.
o If we remain In him we too our lead out of bondage – and into the promised land.
§ Where there is fire – there is light
§ Where there is light – there can be no darkness. Amen
May we remain forever in the light – may we burn with a Fire for God!
2) Lastly - WE HAVE LOST THE REVERENCE FOR A MIGHTY GOD –
o THE CREATOR WHO HUNG THE STARS AND MOON and created me and you.
o The term Poppa – that some use – represents a familial love and that is great – but it fails to honor him as the creator
§ Jesus calls him by name 3 times – as Abba Father
§ Together, the terms Abba (Father in Hebrew) and Father doubly emphasize the fatherhood of God as a creator and caretaker as well as adoptive authority.
The consequence is that when we only see God is a God of care bears and rainbows.
- anytime they struggle in life - they lose their Joy – they lose their fire.
- Anytime something happens unexpected and they don’t like it: they question “where God is” and - lose their fire.
- Anytime they are confused or undecided - they say they can hear the voice of God - and they lose their fire.
In other words – we have made God a means to our end and our happiness.
- But the chief role of man Kind the other way around – to Love God before all things and to love others.
- God the father - Gives us life,
o yet WE CRY now for our bills to be paid, or our Job to get easier, or our friends to be nice – like a bunch of 14 year old girls.
Brethren, we must be different from this – we must be better than this – we must be Holy.
- I pray that we honor God today in our word and in deed
- I pray that every message be anointed with life affirming two-edged truth of the Word of God
- I pray that we be honest with ourselves enough to see where we fall SOOOOO short of His righteousness…... and our only response can be to fall on our face at the altar.
- And I pray that we remember that the word Alter signifies a place of blood and sacrifice. A blood that washes us white as snow and a sacrifice that gives us eternal life and victory in the name of Jesus.
I pray that our minds revere the sovereignty of God and souls burn with the fire for God.